From his Uirye Palace, King Onjo designated Seongnam the capital of the Baekje Kingdom 18B.C.
Seongnam was included in Bukhansan-gun in the 63rd year of the reign of King Jangsu of the Goguryeo Kingdom(475A.D), and was designated as a Shinju in Hansanseong(553A.D)
Seongnam was renamed Hansanju in the 4th year of the reign of King Munmu(664A.D)
Seongnam was renamed Gwangju in the 23rd year of the reign of King Taejo(904A.D), and then was upgraded to Gwangjumok in the 2nd year of the reign of King Seongjong(983A.D)
Seongnam was included Gyeonggi Province in the 4th year of the reign of King Taejo(1395). It was upgraded to Gwangjubu in the 15th year of the reign of King onjo(1637), It was finally re-designated as Gwangju-gun in the 32nd year of the reign of King Gojong(1895)
on April 31, 1964, the Seongnam branch office was established in Jungbu-myeon Gwangju-gun. On August 1, 1968, the city construction office for the Seongnam area was established in Gwangju-gun.
On January 24, 1970, a large-scale complex business establishment was created in Gwangju-gun. On August 1, 1971, a branch office of Gyeonggi Province was established.
On July 1, 1973, Seongnam was promoted to the status of Seongnam-si. In 1988, the Sujeong and Jungwon branch offices were established. In 1989, they were raised to the status of Sujeong-gu and Jungwon-gu respectively. In 1989, a construction plan for a new city in the Bundang area was officially announced, and the development support office began to operate.
In 1991, it was promoted to the status of Bundang-gu. At present, Seongnam city consists of 3-Gus and 45-Dongs. 2003, e-Green Seongnam Establishment of its City ldentity.